Friday, June 20, 2014

Broadway night, Les Miserables


Well, it really has been a long time since I've posted.  The past few months have been hectic to say the least. Ontario had a Provincial election last week and for four weeks prior to that I worked in the election office as a recruiter. I do this every election.  It is four weeks of long hours and hard work, but it's worth is in the end. (More on that later).

Our finale of the Broadway event went off really well. Wendell was Jean Valjean, Rebekah played Cosette and Andrew & I were in the chorus (Andrew was the flag waver as well as singing!)   Here is a photo. I had been through makeup already, but Wendell hadn't. They did a great makeup job on him and he looked so old and sick!



Wendell let his hair grow and also grew a beard for this performance. I don't know who was more anxious for him to shave it off - him or me!!  But it did add to the character though.
I don't have any with the kids yet as I didn't take my camera, so am waiting for Rebekah to send me some shots.

It was a lot of fun to do and I was very proud of my husband and daughter for their performances.  Wendell nailed it and so did Rebekah!!!

So regarding the election work.......the money earned from it is paying for a two week trip to England in October/November, for our anniversary.  We always go to Maine for our anniversary, as many of you will know, but we found a little fisherman's cottage on the Yorkshire coast (in Staithes) online a year or so ago and said that one day we would love to go for our anniverary. Well this is the year!! We also have a place booked for a couple of nights in Derbyshire and we will also stay with family.  We are so excited about this and feel like a couple of kids.  We are busy planning the itinerary already!  Of course, our two weeks in Maine at the end of August comes first.  Can't wait to see Norah on the beach this year!!


11 comments:

  1. It is lovely to hear from you Julie! It looks from the picture as though you had a great time in the show! Glad that it went well for you. I imagine that you are very excited about your anniversary trip, I hope that it is a wonderful visit for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I am in the process of emailing you. We are SO excited about our trip home. I forgot to mention that I had already been through makeup in that photo and Wendell was still waiting for his. They did him up really well, as, after all, he was dying in the scene!

      Delete
  2. As they say around here " Kettle's always on" so if you find time when you are in Derbyshire we would love to see you !
    Lovely photo
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, so sweet of you Gill. We have a lovely little place in Grindleford and will we going to Chatsworth, Harwick Hall, Bakewell and Eyam. We have a lot planned for the two days!

      Delete
    2. You certainly do! That will definitely fill up two days. Try to make Bakewell on a market day and be prepared to be awed and upset by the good people of Eyam.

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately we won't be in Bakewell on marlet day, but we will enjoy the short visit nontheless. We have been to Eyam before, although just for a stroll through. We are looking forward to going to the museum and hall. Such an incredible sacrifice made buy this lovely village! Can't wait!

      Delete
  3. HI Julie, Been meaning to email you but my mum isnt very well again and I have had the grandchildren rather a lot of late! You are so much braver than I am being up on stage. I really dont like being in the spotlight at all, perhaps if I could even sing it wouldnt be so bad!
    I will email you in the next week or two hopefully.Take care, lots of love, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem Anne. I'm so sorry to hear that your Mum isn't doing well again. What a roller coaster you are on! I hope it calms down soon for you and for her.
    I'm not really brave, as I don't like doing solos. It is much easier for me to be in a duet or better still, a chorus like this one. It was enjoyable though and there is an adrenaline rush that comes with performing. I can see why professional performers get a high from it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photo and the anniversary trip sounds wonderful.... Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, please send me your address for the letter swap.
    eliz_abethd@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie, I have pulled your name out for the second fabric pouch, if you email me your snail mail I will get it sent off.

    Take care.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete